The Myakka Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was chartered in 1954. The organizers were keenly aware of the importance of the eco-structure of our area and wanted to name our organization after the Myakka River which meanders across the valley on its way to the Gulf of Mexico.
The river got its name from the Myaca tribe that, hundreds of years ago, made Southwest Florida their home. They settled here because of its beautiful valley with palm bordered hammocks, rich with game and birds, streams and lakes abounding with fish and the rich fertile soil. It is also rumored that they used the area that is now called Venice because of its natural protection from hurricanes. They called the valley and the river by their own name, “MYACA.” Today, we spell the name differently to retain the original sound – MYAKKA.
During our 66 years, the Myakka Chapter of the NSDAR has held true to our founders’ vision through providing programs related to and funding to assist organizations and individuals that foster environmental conservation, historical preservation, education and national defense.
Our chapter has 108 members who are residents of Sarasota County which includes Venice, Englewood, North Port, Nokomis, Osprey and Sarasota. We also have associate members from chapters as far away as Hawaii who are here only during the season.
Dedication of the Historic Restoration
of Mrs. Bertha Palmer’s Pergola and Garden
Historic Spanish Point